Williams Grove Baptist Church
Williams Grove Baptist has a long and distinguished history of service to the Lord. The church was organized in 1899 and given its name by the Williams Family. The late Sister Ada Hayes was the granddaughter of the founder, who was married to Deacon Virgil M. Hicks, Sr. The church ordained Brother Virgil M. Hicks, Sr. in 1921. Deacon Hicks served sixty-two years in that capacity.
The first location of Williams Grove Baptist Church was on Blue Ridge Road and across the street from the church was its cemetery. At that time, services were only held on the first Sunday of every month at 2:00PM.
In 1958, the church moved to Southeast Raleigh. The Pastor at that time was Reverend B. H. Closs. The old church was then sold to acquire five building lots that now make up the current location. Prior to the construction of the current building, the Church set up a tent in the middle of Malta St. (approximately one-half block from the current location) and held services.
Since February 2001 the church has been under the care of its’ current Pastor – Reverend Kirby Jones. In May 2006, the Lord blessed Williams Grove to complete its first fellowship and classroom facility. God further blessed the church in January 2007 with the purchase of over one acre of adjoining land. Additionally, in the spring of 2010, Williams Grove became the home of The Daniel Center of Math and Science, a non-profit organization that seeks to narrow the education gap for at-risk youth, in math, science, and technology.
Today, Williams Grove embarks on another great undertaking: the construction of a new Sanctuary, including additional classrooms and offices.